Ascorbyl glucoside (scientific name ascorbic acid 2-O-alpha-glucoside, AA-2G) is a stable derivative of ascorbic acid, commonly known as vitamin C.
Commercially, AA-2G is produced directly in biological systems, simply by reacting glucose with an ascorbic acid molecule. It is also formed naturally in animals, during the simultaneous digestion of vitamin C and carbohydrates. While ascorbic acid has numerous cosmetical and pharmaceutical benefits, it is relatively unstable and degrades even at neutral pH and body temperature.
The addition of glucose serves to protect this molecule. Upon entering the body, ascorbyl glucoside is easily digested back into ascorbic acid and glucose, resulting in stable vitamin C delivery without any toxic effects. It has also been shown that this compound is metabolized fully, and the amount of vitamin C gained from AA-2G or pure ascorbic acid is equivalent. In fact, this modification allows for a more controlled release of the vitamin, while pure ascorbic acid can lead to cell toxicity if absorbed suddenly and in large quantities. As a tradeoff, absorption of modified vitamins through the skin is less effective, but AA-2G in this respect surpasses other molecules.
Main Benefits of Ascorbyl glucoside in Skincare:
- Lightening and brightening
- Treat hyperpigmentation
- Sun damage repair
- Sun damage protection
- Stimulate collagen production
- Reduce fine lines and wrinkles
CAS NUM: 129499-78-1
INCI Name: Ascorbyl Glucoside
Chemical Name: Ascorbic Acid 2-Glucoside (AAG2TM)
Percentage Purity: 99%
Compatibility: Compatible with other cosmetics ingredients
pH Range: 5-7
Color & Appearance: fine white powder
Molecular weight: 163.39
Grade: Cosmetic Grade
Recommended Usage: 2%
Solubility: Soluble in Water
Mixing Method: Add to cool down phase of the formulation
Mixing Temperature: 40-50°C
Application: Creams, lotions & gels, Decorative cosmetics/Make-up, Skin care (Facial care, Facial cleansing, Body care, Baby care), Sun care (Sun protection, After-sun & Self-tanning)
Country of Origin: Europe
Certification: Ecocert, COSMOS, Halal
- Ascorbyl Glucoside is ONLY stable at pH 5-7
- Ascorbyl Glucoside is VERY acidic.
- After preparing an Ascorbyl Glucoside stock solution, neutralize it tp pH 5.5 by using Triethanolamine or a pH adjuster then add it to the formulation.
- Adding buffers, chelating agents and antioxidants, and shielding from strong light are also useful in preventing Ascorbyl Glucoside from decomposition during formulation.
- The stability of Ascorbyl Glucosideis influenced by pH. Please avoid leaving it under prolonged conditions of strong acidity or alkalinity (pH 2-4 and 9-12).
Packaging: Our powders are packed in water proof zip lock pouches avoid spillage.
Recommended Storage: Our powders should be stored in cool temperatures away from direct sunlight and moisture in an airtight container. (Current Lot will expire: 09-2025)
DISCLAIMER: All SOPHIX NATURAL PRODUCTS are for external use only unless otherwise STATED. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.